Friday 5 August 2016

I (2) Story of lustrous Linga

 STORY BEGINS AT KAILAASA

Once, Bhavaanee the spouse of Shiva, in an amorous mood, pleased her husband the Ishvara, the Lord of Lords through many eulogies. Shiva was delighted by her praises and made her sit on his lap. ShashiShekhara, the Lord whose crest was adorned by the crescent moon asked her, “Beloved! What shall I do for you?”
Then Girijaa, the daughter of the Mountain-king replied, “Prabhu (Lord)! If you are pleased with me then tell me some new amusing story, hey Deva (divine being)!”
Sharva, the destroyer said-“What is there my beloved, that you do not know whether it is past, present or future?” As the mind of that envious wife (Maanavatee) had a whim to hear something from him, his dear wife then insisted that Her Lord should tell her some new story.
(With so many Ganas, devotees, gods competing for his grace, Paarvati felt that she should get something from her Lord, which no one had access to. That would make her a closest devotee of Shiva and she would be placed above all others as his one and only dearest lover.)

Forced by her pleadings of love, Shiva told her then a short story about her own greatness in order to flatter her.

(What story can you tell the Mother of the world who knows everything already of the past, present and future?)



STORY OF ‘LUSTROUS LINGA’

Long back in the past, Naaraayana and Brahma wanted to have my vision and wandered all over the world; and at last reached the base of the Snow Mountain. There they saw a blazing fire in the form of Linga (ज्वालालिङ्ग​- a lustrous pillar of blazing fire) in front of them.  (It reached down below for endless distances; and raised high above to endless distances.) One of them (Brahmaa) flew up to see the top-end of that Linga; the other (Naaraayana) went down below searching for the bottom-end of that Linga. Both of them could not find the edges of the Linga, above or below.  They then performed penance to propitiate me (Shiva).  I appeared in front of them both and said to both of them, “Ask for any boon you both want!” Brahmaa immediately said-“You please bless me by becoming my son.” Because of his insolence he was cursed that he should not be worshipped by anyone anytime. Then Lord Naaraayana requested me for a boon like this, “Bhagavan! Let me be blessed by serving you always!” Then he was manifested out of me in your form. He who is Naaraayana is you my dear Shakti, my own power manifested in your form. And you were previously also my wife!”
Paarvati then asked - “How was I your wife previously?”

STORY OF DAKSHA’S SACRIFICE

Bharga (the shining one) then replied-
“Long ago, My Devi, Daksha Prajaapati had many daughters including also you my dear. He offered you to me in marriage; and others were offered to Dharma and other Gods. Once he performed a grand Sacrifice. He invited all the son-in-laws to attend that Sacrifice, except me.  Then you questioned him-“Father! Why did you not invite my husband? Tell me!” He spoke then words that pierced your ears like poisonous needles. “Your husband is a KapaalaMaalee (Wearer of skulls’)! How can I invite him for this Sacrifice?” You became very angry and said- “Why should I bear this sinful body born of you?” You discarded your body by entering the sacrificial fire, my dear.
That ‘Sacrifice of Daksha’ was destroyed by me in anger.
Later you were born from the King of Mountains like a ‘ChandraKalaa’ (crescent of the moon) appearing in the ocean.
And then remember! I came to the Snow-Mountain for performing penance. Your father appointed you to serve me, his guest. Manmatha was sent by the Gods to make me get a son to kill Demon Taaraka. Waiting for the right moment, he stuck me and was burnt off. Then you the courageous one brought me off (stole my mind) through the performance of fierce penance. I accepted you as an addition to my own collection of auspicious things. Thus you were previously my wife. What more do you want me to say?”
After saying this, Shambhu (Principle of auspiciousness) remained silent. 
Devi was annoyed.
She said- “You are a trickster! You are not telling an amusing story even after I plead with you so much. You wear Gangaa on your head! You worship Sandhyaa! But can’t you understand my mind?”
Shiva pacified her and agreed to tell a wonderful story. Paarvati discarded her anger.
She ordered Nandi (bull-vehicle of Shiva) that no one should be allowed inside and made him stand guard at the gate.
Shiva started his story-telling.

Since Paarvati knew already everything, there was nothing new that could interest her!
Shiva tried his best to show her that he loved her a lot. Even Naaraayana, his ardent adorer was the form of Paarvati only! And moreover she had always occupied the position of his wife always at all times. She was so great that she had thrown her body into the fire in her love for him!
Whom else would he love other than her?
She was dearer to him than his Self!
He had offered her half the body, as a mark of his love.
She was the closest of all!
No one could occupy her place at anytime! She was unique!
But she was insisting that, she wanted stories that were unknown to her, or any one else!
Brahma the Creator should not know and Naaraayana as the protector should not know!
That means that the stories would not have occurred in the past, present or future!
That means that the stories should not have been experienced by anyone in the creation! So Shiva had to invent stories!
And of course as he narrated the stories, the stories appeared as real experiences of the characters in the story, in the space-time world of Brahma! The stories occupy a sacred position because they are the imaginations of Shiva the Supremacy!)
(Since she was the only one having access to this knowledge, she first of all safe-guarded the place of story-telling from one and all.
She strictly ordered Nandi to stand at the gates of their abode and not allow any god, or a Gana or a devotee inside, for whatever reason!)


(Shiva began to narrate countless stories to Paarvati which still had not occurred in the mind of any gods or humans including Brahmaa and Naaraayana.)



No comments:

Post a Comment